It's Big Mouth News Time! So Let's Get Into It....

Here you will find Celebrity stories, Internet aka Viral stories, or just hot button topics in general given with my own brand of wisdom, flavor, and my truth. This is just a written extension of my YouTube channel. BE WARNED: I will not always be nice in my blogs but what I say is my truth and things that need to be said and heard! So Pay Attention People, I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY...

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

SMDH. Nick Cannon Promotes His New Album by Creating a White Character Named Connor Smallnut and Dressing Up in White Face!



Nick Cannon has a new album coming out soon and its called: White People Party Music. I've never been a fan of Nick Cannons music so I wasn't amped or impressed with him coming out with a new album at all. Anyway this is speculated to be a colossal April Fools Day joke. The album is set to be released on April 1st.

Nick decided the best way to promote this so called "album" of his is to don the likes of a character named Connor Smallnut. Connor is supposed to be a stereotypical version of how white act, speak, and move. He's been posting videos on his Instagram as Connor and posting numerous tweets about his life as "Connor".








Some people are in an uproar about it. Its all over social media which is what Nick Cannon wanted by the way. Some people are blasting him for his poor taste and others are praising him for his hilarity. Either way its being talked about.

Personally I'm on the fence about it. I can definitely understand the difference between humor/art v. hatred/disrespect. In terms of Nick Cannon I don't think he meant any harm by it but it just looks bad. When a white person puts on black face (like so many have done on social media for Halloween and other festive holidays) people went NUTS! So whats good for goose is good for gander.

This is not new people but its sensitive because its been happening so much. Movies like White Chicks and Tropic Thunder both had people dressing up as a different race. In Tropic Thunder, Robert Downey, Jr. played an actor named Kirk Lazarus a method actor who underwent controversial surgery to become African American man.  In the movie White Chicks, Marlon and Shawn Wayans portrayed Hispanic men working at convenient store and 2 white heiresses. People just thought it was funny. Both portrayals were funny and had nothing to with racial hatred.

But I understand why people are angry. I mean given the recent events of the Black Face drama it was just done in poor taste. Just like African Americans don't like it when white people portray us in a bad light it shouldn't be done to any other race either. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, it doesn't matter. Respect is respect.

Pull it together Nick, #ThatIsAll


No comments:

Post a Comment