It's Big Mouth News Time! So Let's Get Into It....

Here you will find Celebrity stories, Internet aka Viral stories, or just hot button topics in general given with my own brand of wisdom, flavor, and my truth. This is just a written extension of my YouTube channel. BE WARNED: I will not always be nice in my blogs but what I say is my truth and things that need to be said and heard! So Pay Attention People, I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY...

Friday, January 19, 2018

Celeb News: Whet? Mo'Nique Wants Everyone to Boycott Netflix...Let Me Give You My Response to That


Ok, so the Internet got its panties in a bunch today and it's all over Mo'Nique calling for a Netflix boycott. Mo' Nique got a deal with Netflix for a special. But was only offered a $500,000 deal for her special. You know what I'm a let her explain it via her Instagram post and then I'm a tell you what I think...

A post shared by Mo'nique (@therealmoworldwide) on

So mama wants us to boycott Netflix. Let's really look this with an intelligent mind and logical heart.  I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this but I'm gonna be real: Who has more clout aka fame? Who is the bigger box office draw right Amy Schumer or Mo'Nique? My answer would be Amy Schumer. She currently has the momentum and a stronger fan base. Mo'Nique still has to get to that. She's been touring with a comedy set for years now and even though I hear its funny she's not an A-List comedian selling out Radio City Music Hall.

Now if you don't agree let's go even further let's look at their resumes:

Info via IMDb.com

Looking at both resumes they are both distinguished, accomplished entertainers. With accolades in multiple fields. If this was 2010 then yea Mo'Nique should be commanding a bigger check. Because she had the clout then. Mo'Nique can't pull the race and gender card this time. I think that is irrelevant. I think this has EVERYTHING to do with who will bring the most eyes to their Netflix special. That determines your pay. Yes in comedy Mo'Nique is a recognizable comedian but I think she's recognizable for my generation and older (and more so over for the African American/Black community).

The younger generation is focused on social media influence comedians like Jess Hilarious, Khadi Da Don, Jasmine Luv, Simone Shepherd, Lala Sizahands, Jasmin Brown, Jennah "Miss Jay" Brittany, Lele Pons, Supa Cent, The Gabby Show, B. Simone, Teresa Top Notch World, etc (I know its more but these are the ones I like and watch faithfully you add can the rest in the comments lol). The bigger female comedians (mainstream) like Amy Schumer, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sarah Silverman, Whoopi Goldberg, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, Whiney Cummings, Kathy Griffin, Chelsea Handler, etc. They can command millions in their standup because they have maintained the clout to do so. They have a mainstream presence (CURRENT tv/film) and social media presence. I cannot say the same about Mo'Nique. She just doesn't have the guaranteed presence to ensure their investment will pay off.

Now I'm gonna be honest $500,000 is low. She's an academy award winning actress and she has an impressive comedic background. She deserves more than that. But do I think Netflix should be boycotted because of it? No. I don't because I understand why the low offer was given to Mo'Nique. If that's the case then every network should be boycotted. I'm sure they all are guilty of low balling and undercutting people for money. Comedy Central is a culprit of those practices. For example, Comedy Central made 500Mil from Dave Chappelle's Chapelle Show but was only offering Dave 50Mil for the 3rd Season. Dave knew his worth and walked away. Ended up leaving comedy for 10 years only to come back and still be one of the funniest and biggest comedians in the world.


Mo'Nique has not done that. Mo'Nique just got back into doing comedy in recent years. Amy Schumer was doing comedy, she was on SNL, she was doing movies, she had her tv show on Comedy Central. Her name was constantly out there FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. Giving her the ability to sell out multiple shows at Madison Square Garden (only a few comedians have done that and if I'm not mistaken all of them were male). 20,000+ people depending on how the stage is set up. So that's a guaranteed 20,000 people will stream her special not to mention the millions of followers on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook! Amy could get an easy 100,000 people to stream the service initially and gain more if it was funny.  Mo'Nique not selling out Madison Square Garden or at least she hasn't done it in her career. Let's just keep it G!


If it were me: I would've taken the deal and done the special or renegotiated for $750,000 - 2Mil. Yea yea I can hear the jeers. But hear me out: If I'm Mo'Nique and I'm getting back in the game where I'm a commanding commodity in Hollywood then you have to do your due diligence. And work your way back to the big paychecks. She's had success in standups before but this is a new time and a whole new ball game. Now I'm not saying you should just accept anything, but Ms. Mo'Nique has to be humble and real. That's all I'm saying. Dave Chappelle had to do it. For a while, Dave was doing small sets. Once fans got wind of the shows and how funny they were word of mouth spread, more tickets were sold and people came out. Selling out shows at Radio City Music Hall, making 60Mil on 2 Netflix specials, etc.

It's just about being real. This is not a right fighter mission. This could've been resolved with just negotiating or moving on to another distributor. No need for the social media antics because real talk you've got to understand where you are. Amy Schumer has the clout and that's the best way to explain it. So I won't be boycotting Netflix. This just seems like a business deal that fell through. You should move on and do your special on your own or go back to Walter Latham. I mean...Boycott? Really?

In the words of Kendrick Lamar Sit Down...Be Humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment